On May 15, 1989, construction workers were digging a gas line trench at 1943 Castleberry Lane, near where the road intersects with Riverside Drive in Bullhead City, Mohave County, Arizona. While digging through the vacant lot, they came across a shallow grave, which held in it human skeletal remains.
When the remains were brought in for examination, it was determined they belonged to a female who had died up to 10 years prior, between 1979 and 1987.
The cause of death was deemed to be homicide.
Jane Doe is described as white, and is believed to have been between the ages of 17 and 19. She stood anywhere from 5’5″ to 5’9″, with estimates placing her around 5’7″. She is said to have had dark-to-medium brown hair that was 12″ in length and showed signs of having been bleached at some point. Given the state of the remains, her weight and eye colour were unable to be determined.
While an exact description of the clothing found with the remains is unavailable, it’s said they resembled the type typically worn by a woman. A purse was also found by the body, as well as one owl-shaped earring that was multi-coloured.
An examination of Jane Doe’s dentals showed she’d had extensive dental work done throughout her life. Two of her upper teeth had been missing before her death and she had a partial plate in place.
Investigators gave her the nickname “Castleberry Kate”.
1) Ashley Standish Higgins, who went missing from Costa Mesa, California on November 6, 1982.
2) Andrea Joy Hall, who went missing from Redondo Beach, California on July 8, 1979.
3) Anna Marie Anderson, who went missing from Cypress, California on December 5, 1983.
4) Amy Billig, who went missing from Coconut Grove, Florida on March 5, 1974.
5) Tara Leigh Calico, who went missing from Belen, New Mexico on September 20, 1988.
6) Miram A. Cavallo, who went missing from Los Angeles, California on November 23, 1983.
7) Carla Rebecca Corley, who went missing from Birmingham, Alabama on August 12, 1980.
8) Barbara Louise Cotton, who went missing from Williston, North Dakota on April 11, 1981.
9) Carol Elaine Donn, who went missing from West Palm Beach, Florida on October 20, 1980.
10) Michelle Leone Duncan, who went missing from Los Angeles, California on November 4, 1984.
11) Debra Lee Frost, who went missing from Salt Lake City, Utah on July 9, 1984.
12) Rochelle Marie Ihm, who went missing from Phoenix, Arizona on July 13, 1986.
13) Cynthia Ardina Leslie, who went missing from Mesa, Arizona on July 31, 1974.
14) Jackie Leslie, who went missing from Mesa, Arizona on July 31, 1974.
15) Connie Gail Minchaca, who went missing from Napa, California on June 9, 1978.
16) Rhonda Gayle Sansovich, who went missing from Elmira, Oregon on March 7, 1988.
17) Wilma Rae Vermaas, who went missing from Los Angeles, California on April 3, 1976.
18) Amy Marie Yachimec, who went missing from Phoenix, Arizona on November 6, 1981.
19) Patricia Evans Gomez, who went missing from Belvedere, California on December 26, 1979.
20) Dull Columbus Meredith, who went missing from Niland, California on January 24, 2005.
21) Stefanie Kelly Stroh, who went missing from Wells, Nevada on October 15, 1987.
CASE CONTACT INFORMATION:
Jane Doe’s dental records are available for comparison.
Those with information regarding the identity of Jane Doe are asked to contact the Mohave County Medical Examiner at 928-505-5888.
Image Credit: NCMEC