On April 11, 1976, the decomposing remains of an unidentified female were located in a remote canyon area of San Fernando, California. The area, which is said to be a dry creek bed in rural Los Angeles County, is approximately 90′ west of the paved portion of Lopez Canyon Road.
Given the level of decomposition, it’s estimated Jane Doe died approximately two to seven days prior to being found. While her cause of death could not be determined, it’s believed she died as a result of either gunshot or stab wounds.
Also known as the Lopez Canyon Jane Doe, the deceased is described as a white female of between 16 and 26 years of age, with estimates placing her around 20 years old. Said to have a small, slim build, she stood between 5’3″ and 5’8″ and weighed anywhere from 100 to 150 pounds. She had long light brown-to-auburn-coloured hair with dark blonde roots that was about 18″ in length and fell to the middle of her back. Her eyes are believed to have been brown.
She is said to have a 1″ vertical scar approximately 3″ below her right kneecap, and is said to have had plucked eyebrows. She had a full silver cap on her left upper first molar and her lower right front molar is believed to have been missing for years before her death.
When found, Jane Doe was wearing a size medium tan midriff long-sleeved blouse with rust-coloured tree figures, elastic cuffs and “Styled in California” in multi-coloured print; Male-brand purple bell-bottom pants with 2″ wide cuffs, two metal snaps and a zipper in the front; light green panties with “Thursday” embroidered in dark green stitching; and black clog shoes with heavy leather straps and 4″ high solid heels with 3/4″ crepe soles. A brown Londontown by Checkpoint cotton suede jacket with a white wool collar and cuffs was located near the body. Its label read “RN504858 Made In Taiwan”.
1) Wilma Rae Vermaas, who went missing from Los Angeles, California on April 3, 1976.
2) Kristina Ann Perkins, who went missing from Phoenix, Arizona on September 10, 1975.
3) Lulaida Morales Sejalbo, who went missing from Santa Clara, California on November 25, 1973.
4) Deborah Lee Spickler, who went missing from Vernon, Connecticut on July 24, 1968.
5) Shirley Elizabeth Frew, who went missing from Long Beach, California on May 4, 1969.
6) Cindy Lee Mellin, who went missing from Ventura, California on January 20, 1970.
7) Beatrice Susan Calderon, who went missing from San Jose, California on August 17, 1971.
8) Kristina Sue Allen, who went missing from Los Angeles, California on February 28, 1976.
9) Robin Ann Graham, who went missing from Los Angeles, California on November 14, 1970.
CASE CONTACT INFORMATION:
Jane Doe’s dentals, as well as three fingerprints from her left hand and her right footprint, are available for comparison.
Those with information regarding the identity of Jane Doe are asked to contact the Homicide/Cold Case Unit of the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department at 323-890-5500. Tips can also be called into the Los Angeles County Coroner at either 323-343-0512 or 323-343-0754.
Image Credit: The Doe Network